|Burtonwood and Westbrook|
[[Image:|240px|Burtonwood and Westbrook is located in ]]
Burtonwood and Westbrook ()
Burtonwood and Westbrook shown within
|Population||Expression error: "11,265" must be numeric |
|OS grid reference|
|Parish||Burtonwood and Westbrook|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
|UK Parliament||Warrington North|
|List of places: UK • England •|
Burtonwood and Westbrook is a civil parish in the outermost suburbs of Warrington in Cheshire, England. Historically within Lancashire, the name Burtonwood is known worldwide as the location of the former RAF Burtonwood military base. Burtonwood village itself is a few miles away from the site of the former base. The civil parish also includes Westbrook, which is a council ward and suburb of Warrington. According to the 2001 census, the population of the entire civil parish was 11,265.
Burtonwood was a Chapelry in the ancient parish of Warrington, in the West Derby Hundred of Lancashire. It was later created a civil parish and was part of the Warrington Poor Law Union and then the Warrington Rural District. In 1974 it became part of Warrington District and is now part of the Warrington Unitary Authority. It is still a civil parish (now named Burtonwood and Westbrook) and thus has its own parish council. Burtonwood's population rose from 990 in 1861 to 2,408 in 1911 as the mining and brewing industries grew. The parish population leaped to 8,238 in 1951 due to air force station personnel but dropped to 4,899 in 1971, before rising to 11,265 today as a result of housing development on the old air base site. Nowadays, there is work being done on the air bases and two of the bases have been knocked down. This is because of the Omega Project.
The village is known for its brewery, which brews the Burtonwood ales. Burtonwood has five public houses, the Elm Tree, the Bridge Inn, the Chapel House, the Pear Tree and the Fiddle Ith Bag Inn, three social clubs and three churches, St. Michael's, St. Paul's and the Methodist church. There are two recreational parks and two primary schools, Burtonwood Community Primary School and St. Paul of the Cross Primary School. The village does not have a secondary school or college and the nearest high school is Great Sankey High School, which has a sixth-form attached to it. Also St Aelred's Catholic Technology College in nearby Newton-le-willows which also has a sixth form attached, Priestley Sixth Form College in Warrington town centre is the nearest specialised sixth form college. Burtonwood village also has two doctors surgeries, known as Burtonwood Surgery on Clay Lane, and Kinnock Park Surgery. There is also a small Co-Operative store (Mercer Street), as you walk in to the village there is a Fish and Chop Shop, an Independant Betting Shop, a Lloyds Chemist and a PostOffice all located on Clay Lane. In the former Youth Club, which prior to that was an old grammer school, there is a relatively new Indian Restaurant (2007). This is located opposite the Bridge Pub on Phipps Lane. Burtonwood also has three nature reservers. Wheatacre Woods (access via Clay Lane / Gorsey Lane), The Old Colliery Moss (access via Bold Lane / Back Lane), and an area known as the Picnik Area which is accessed primary from the footpath adjacent to the bowling green.
The village is fairly small, with only three bus routes through it, (Arriva 329 to St Helens, Warrington Borough Transport 29 to Collins Green (subject to rural bus grant) and Ogden 141 (St Helens to Newton) run on behalf of Merseytravel). The nearest major bus interchanges are in Warrington (6 miles) and Wigan (8.19 miles). The nearest railway station was Collins Green, but is now Earlestown, two miles to the north of the village. Liverpool John Lennon Airport is the nearest airport (10 miles to the west).
The following statistics are for the civil parish of Burtonwood and Westbrook.
The following statistics are for the council ward of Burtonwood and Winwick.